Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gluten Free or not to be?

When you eat do you feel miserable afterward? Does the pain send you into the bathroom or just into the fetal position? Yeah. Not until I did an elmination diet did I realize my body doesn't do well with gluten. When I added gluten back in the pain was not fun at all. Happened with dairy products too. My nurse pracitioner explained that I have a gluten intolerance. The more I looked into it and tried different things I understood. I thought being gluten-free would be really difficult. Well, as I got used to it, it isn't. It's actually rather easy. When I go out to restaurants now I know what to look for and ask about. Lots of restaurants are coming out with gluten-free menus (thank you Olive Garden!). I have been gluten & dairy free for 5 years. I also stay away from meat (I do eat certain fish) and I try to stay away from sugar as much as possible (Agave Nectar is my friend). Well, one of the reasons for this post is to tell you about an AWESOME cookbook my sweet sister who completely understands my new dietary lifestyle. It's
1000 Gluten Free Recipes by Carol Fenster
Every recipe I have tried in this book has been YUMMO-LICIOUS!! I have been completely impressed with it. She also has some great information in it and tells me which recipes are vegetarian or vegan. I love that. She uses a flour blend that is very easy to make with sorghum flour, potato starch & tapioca flour.

I'm going to try to put the link to amazon for the book here so you can check it out yourself! You might try the library in your area too. That's a great way to try out new cookbooks!! Enjoy!!

http://www.amazon.com/000-Gluten-Free-Recipes-Carol-Fenster/dp/0470067802/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297806580&sr=8-1

Be Blessed & Healthy!!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you were gluten-intolerant as well! People think it's so terrible, but I am actually very thankful for it. It keeps me healthy and accountable with my eating. Who'd have thought that something that most people view as a curse is something that I would turn out to be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments & hear how you are doing in your health & wellness journey. We are all a work in progress. ~ Imperfectly Pamela