Monday, April 21, 2014

Food Glorious Food!!

Is anyone singing that now in their minds? 

But anyway, Easter was yesterday and I am so happy to tell you about it.

Since realizing there are so many other foods I can't eat I have been trying to figure out what that means for me.  I won't change anything for my family but I do have to say they are leaning more & more toward healthy eating.  (Hubby doesn't have a problem with healthy eating. He loves it - just to be clear :)  )

I was roasting lots of veggies & my daughter went in & nearly finished what I thought would be a few days worth!  How can someone be upset about THAT!!?? 

Back to Easter - Easter in my house consisted of chocolate filled plastic eggs that Grandma & Grandpa hid for the kids.  The turkey my son got hunting a few weeks ago.  A store-bought ham (because for some it's just traditional to have ham on Easter).  Corn casserole (seriously I think this is the stuff that put my initial weight on in the first place. Oh my YUMMILICIOUS  Now?  Can't eat it.)  Carrots with a sprinkle of brown sugar.  Tossed salad (with my homemade Lemon-Thyme salad dressing).  Mashed pots with gravy (2 kinds because that is just how we roll).  Dessert?  Oh my really?  Coconut cake (in the shape of a lamb - it's quite cute).  GF Angel food cake with fresh berries.  GF biscuits.

Did you just gain 20lbs reading that? 

As I sat at the table enjoying the company we had I realized I was REALLY happy & quite content with the food I was able to eat.  I wasn't feeling deprived that I couldn't eat some of that.  I had my veggie plate & salad & did a happy dance (mostly with the GF biscuit if you must know).  I did indulge in the Angel food cake & berries.  (another happy dance & had seconds but really, who is counting??)  I walked away from the table & felt good.  I didn't feel deprived but I also wasn't feeling sick, bloated, have that burning feeling in my throat that, come to find out, was part of the allergic reaction I was having to some foods. 

It can be done.  I would never wish food (or any) allergies on anyone but honestly we have ourselves thinking we just can't live without certain things.  I have had people telling me I will have to start eating meat now because of all the foods I can't eat anymore.  I don't think so.  I get my protein.  It's just coming from a different source than meat. 

We really benefit from feeding our bodies healthy & clean.  I know it's hard.  I'm not talking about organic.  Which would be ideal for those that can do that.  I'm just talking about getting your veggies & fruits.  I'm saying that cutting down on the processed, sugar filled, refined stuff out there will only be good for you & your family. 

You know this right?  I'm not surprising you with this right? 
How awesome would be be to have our kids & families going for the carrot sticks or apple slices for that crunchy or sweet craving they are having?  We can do this.  As a Mom I know I make a big impression on my kids.  They see me working out & eating healthy.   Be the role model your family & friends need.  They will thank you for it!!

Be Blessed & Live Healthy!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Pamela! I good reminder not only to think more about our food choices but also that we can influence those around us to make better choices too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments & hear how you are doing in your health & wellness journey. We are all a work in progress. ~ Imperfectly Pamela