Monday, August 27, 2012

What we do during a Hurricane.....

Well while in Florida we do have to deal with those pesky hurricanes, tropical storms, tornadoes, etc.  Today it's Hurricane Isaac.  Thankfully for us he decided NOT to hit Florida directly.  Unfortunately it looks like he will hit Louisiana though.  Not cool. 

We have only had some rain & wind.  At times it's pretty strong to be honest.  I know it has knocked down some power lines around our town too.  We are hopeful we will keep our electricity! 

So, I'm preparing for a gathering to celebrate my sons 17th birthday & being gluten free I like to make sure there is something that I can eat too.  Today I tried a new recipe & if you can tell by the picture?  IT'S YUMMY!!  I had to put those last 4 pieces aside for my hubby.  The hand in the picture is NOT staged.  I think he thought I was distracted. 

The recipe says to put this in 2 8x8 pans.  I don't have them so I put in in a smaller rectangle pan & it was a little thin.  My oldest said he thought they were alot like vanilla brownies.  Yum!!  I agree.  I think I may make this for our gathering but serve it with some fruit.  That would be just yummilicious! 

This recipe is from the Carol Fenster cookbook 1000 Gluten Free Recipes.  Let me know if you try it.  I guarantee you won't be disappointed!!



Yellow Cake

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1-1/2 cups Carol's Sorghum blend (or another gf flour blend)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk (I made my own)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Preheat over to 325 deg.  Generously grease 2-8" round pans.  Set aside.

In mixer - beat butter until smooth, gradually beat in the sugar until smooth.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In another bowl - sift together the flour blend, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder & baking soda.  In a measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, vanilla & almond extract.

With mixer on low speed - beat the flour mixture into the egg mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning & ending with the flour mixture.  Spread the batter evenly in the pans.

Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until the tops of the cakes are golden brown.

Enjoy!!

Be Blessed & Healthy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments & hear how you are doing in your health & wellness journey. We are all a work in progress. ~ Imperfectly Pamela