Saturday, March 5, 2011

St John Crew


Well, they left very early this morning (I'm assuming they did, haven't gotten a confirmation yet). I'm putting a picture of 2 of the guys here. Andrew & Daniel. We are so excited for them and REALLY excited to hear all about their trip. I find myself thinking about them constantly. Of course this is just the first day. Last night I found myself thinking I needed to turn the light on outside for my son! So funny.


Well, today I had the oppurtunity to see my chiropractor which is good after my back problem. While we were there a friend said there were gluten free homemade cookies there. Well, me and my little princess went right over and had a taste. Yummy!

The only way I could keep my little one from eating the whole bag was to promise we would come home and make some. They are yummy, yummy! I got the recipe from a GREAT cookbook. I think I have mentioned it before. Carol Fensters Gluten Free recipes. The sugar cookie recipe on page 419 are AWESOME. She uses a flour blend with sorghum, potato & tapioca flours. (1-1/2 cups sorghum flour, 1-1/2 cups potato starch & 1 cup tapioca, mix together) It's really easy to make the blend & put the rest in a bag & freeze it for next time. Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1 cup sugar + 1/4 cup for rolling

1 TB light brown sugar

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp almond extract

2 cups Carol's Sorghum Blend

1 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375. Beat butter & sugars with mixer til smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla & almond. Gradually add flour blend, santhan gum, baking powder & salt. Beat until just blended. Shape dough into balls & roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheet & bake. The cookbook says 12 - 15 minutes but I had them in for 7 and that was plenty. Just keep an eye on them!! Yummy!!

I don't treat myself to sugary things often but this is very yummy & a couple hit the spot with my coffee.

I hope you enjoy it! I'm sure you can use pretty much any gf flour blend you have or even the Bob's Red Mill all purpose baking flour would work.

Let me know if you use something different and how they turn out! Would love to hear!!

We are going to make the peanut butter cookies next.

Be Blessed & Healthy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments & hear how you are doing in your health & wellness journey. We are all a work in progress. ~ Imperfectly Pamela