Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fruits & Veggies

Have you put any thought into how many fruits & veggies you get in a day?  Do you even know how many we are supposed to be getting?  Off the top of my head I think it's 9 and that would probably be more veggies than fruit.  So many people say they just don't "do" veggies.  Well, personally I love them.  Growing up my mother used to put cheese on the veggies we just didn't like too much & honestly I'm not sure if that made me appreciate them more or just tack on the pounds when I got older :) 

So, the infamous food pyramid.  There seems to be some controversy over it but it can help give us a general idea on what we need.  I don't know if I agree with the amount of "grains" but once we start getting the protein, veggies & fruits in then maybe everything else can fall into place. 

As I'm sure you know, I'm a vegetarian.  A choice I made kind of as a trial and have stuck with it.  Getting my protein in during the day with the workouts I do is a concern for me.  I have started having a protein drink (soy protein) after my workout and I load it with some type of green (spinach, kale, collard greens).  I also put a serving of fruit in it as well.  I can't believe how much it helps with my energy over what I had been doing.  I'm also getting in atleast 2 servings of fruits & veggies.  I would have to say probably more like 3 with what I pack in there. 

A problem I seem to be having lately is sugar.  Ugh!  Since Christmas cookies.  My killer time is from 2-4 in the afternoon.  I can't seem to get away from this craving & I find myself cruising through the kitchen for something, ANYTHING to satisfy that craving.  Thankfully (not for the rest of my family though) I have rid my kitchen of all things "bad".  I end up usually with an apple & peanut butter or something like that.  Today I had a Larabar.  I found a great blog that has a recipe to make my own.  That sounds like it might be a good thing huh?  The Chocolate Covered Katie blog has some great recipes for them.  Check her out!  Oh her blog is just sooooo yummy!  AND she puts in the dairy free options & sugar free options.  Just was cool for those of us needing that.

Well, I guess I am making up for my "blog block" huh? 

Hope you enjoyed this one.  Once I start sometimes - I just can't stop!!

Be Blessed & Healthy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments & hear how you are doing in your health & wellness journey. We are all a work in progress. ~ Imperfectly Pamela